Wednesday 3 November 2010

Phase 2

It has been a long time, and I guess most of you might have given up on hearing from me again, an update is certainly long overdue, but we are still going strong in phase 2 of being green, lazy and out of money.

When the first 12 months had been completed I wondered what would happen to the project. I was keen to continue the green efforts, but frankly there was a part of me wondering if it would change anything that I was no longer committed to telling the world about our efforts. Thankfully I don't think it has, at least we haven't been going back the way, but I think the steps we are taking have become smaller.

We still put in a good effort on many fronts: energy saving, minimising waste, recycling, travelling better (even in the colder weather), eating local and attempting to grow our own stuff, but I have realised that we have now reached a stage where efforts might need to be focussed on something specific.

Phase 1 was about the steps more or less everybody can do with a bit of determination. We didn't invent something amazing, we didn't change the world, we didn't set any records - we simply followed some of all the advice out there and became greener. So now every time I read another list of '10 ways to save the planet' I can usually tick at least 9 boxes. Anybody can do that!

Phase 2 is harder. I struggle now to find advice on things to do or improvements to make that doesn't involve a fair bit of investment (I still really want to fit a woodburning stove and solar panels) or a big amount of effort. E.g. part of phase one was to not leave appliances on standby. The main element required to achieve this is to actually remember to flick the switch - not time consuming. On the other hand a phase 2 target could be to become self sufficient in fruit and veg. It would mean a huge investment, partly of equipment and trees etc, but mainly of time.

I recently read about a family who had reduced their waste so much that in one year they had only put their bin out for collection once. Very impressive! It makes our achievement of only having half full bins to put out look like nothing. But to achieve that level of waste reduction would mean a lot of work. You would need to think every action of the day through from a waste point of view, and I can't help thinking that these people made a tremendous effort on the waste front, but maybe they are behind me on the transport front or the grow your own front... (or maybe they are superhuman and do everything)

And there is my dilemma at the moment. There is only 24 hours in a day and there is only so many things we can do in that amount of time. Ideally I would like to take all areas of green living to a higher level - but I can't! There is simply not enough time to keep making progress in all areas. I mean I wish I had the time to learn lots of new cooking skills so that I could cook fabulous food from local produce, but I don't if I am also at the same time trying to drop my car, reduce my waste to zero, pruning trees and planting carrots, making Christmas cards out of recycled newspaper and knitting sweaters to stay warm in our less heated house. So after a few months in phase 2 I have had to face the fact that I need to prioritise.

If I want to take big steps in any area it is likely to mean that other areas will become stagnant. Either that or I need to accept that the steps we take become smaller. Hmm, not sure what the best way forward is. So many things to try, so many ideas, so many opportunities. Maybe that is part of being green as well, knowing your limits and having a lifestyle that is sustainable from a wellbeing point as well. Anyway I guess as long as we are going forward, not back - we are still doing OK.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see your still trying to accomplish phase 2. I'm sure it's a very difficult one. All the best of luck, keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete